On Tuesday, August 18th, Verbit’s leadership will be speaking on a panel session during an event produced by City & State New York, a premier media organization dedicated to covering New York’s local and state politics and policy. The event, New York’s Current and Future Education in a Post COVID 19 Era, will take place from 1-4:30pm EST.
City & State offers leaders in-depth, trusted and non-partisan coverage of issues directly impacting New York. Verbit’s session, Higher Education Plans for New York, will take place at 2:50pm EST.
Scott Ready, Accessibility Evangelist and Senior Customer Success Manager, will be representing Verbit on the panel. Ready has served the education industry for 20+ years and worked for 35+ years in accessibility.
The session itself will explore how since the beginning of the pandemic, universities and colleges have been worried about deep cuts to their academic programs, campuses and students. The panelists will cover the issues that emerged as students began learning online. Ready will offer practical solutions, including ways to utilize captioning and transcripts for note taking via Verbit’s Artificial Intelligence based tools, to solve higher education technology problems and assist in advancing students’ online learning experiences.
The session will also cover what higher education, both for public and private universities, will look like this fall. Panelists will address how admissions may be altered for the incoming class without standardized tests or grades from the previous year, as well as what dorms, classes, security and activities may look like for these students.
The event will be moderated by Council Member Inez Barron, Chair, Higher Education Committee (Session Facilitator). Additional speakers joining Ready include:
- Senator Toby Ann Stavisky, Chair, Higher Education Committee
- William Murphy, Deputy Commissioner for Higher Education, NYS Education Department
- Noel Hara, Senior Director, Public Sector Strategy, NTT Data
- Marc Jerome, President, Monroe College
- Michael J. Smith, President, Berkeley College
City & State’s 2020 Virtual Education in New York event is designed to offer industry executives, public sector leaders and academics the opportunity to share ideas and debate over critical issues such as remote learning, standardized testing, public school funding and more.
Additional event sessions include:
- Public School Education in a Post Covid World
- Reimaging School in the Ongoing New Normal
- Student Dashboard for Google Classroom: Improve Student Focus and Reduce Parent Frustration
- A One on One with Betty Rosa, Chancellor, New York State Board of Regents & Interim State Education Commissioner and Jon Lentz, Editor in Chief, City & State NY
You can read more about the summit here.